2020 Census: Be Counted!
What is the Decennial Census?
Every 10 years, since 1790 the federal government conducts a population count of everyone in the United States. The next enumeration will begin March 2020 and will be the first to rely heavily on online responses.
Why is it important to me?
Responding to the census is not only your civic duty; it also affects the amount of funding your community receives, how your community plans for the future, and your representation in government. Specifically, data from the 2020 Census are used to:
- Ensure public services and funding for schools, hospitals, and fire departments.
- Plan new homes and businesses and improve neighborhoods.
- Determine how many seats your state is allocated in the House of Representatives.
To assist in the coordination of California’s outreach and communication strategy for the 2020 Census, the California Complete Count – Census 2020 Office is actively looking for additional team members. The U.S. Census Bureau is also looking to hire individuals to canvas and enumerate for the 2020 Census. These jobs are separate and apart from the California Complete Count – Census 2020 Office. Click HERE for more information!
- March 12-20: Invitations will be mailed to complete the 2020 census questionnaire online
- March 16-24: Reminder letters will be mailed
- March 26-April 3: Reminder postcard will be mailed
- Hard-Copy Responses
April 8-16: Another reminder and hard copy questionnaire will be mailed
- Final Reminder Before In Person Follow-Up
April 20-27: Final postcards will be mailed before an in-person follow-up