Open Enrollment Ends January 31st

Time is running out for those who have not enrolled in health coverage for 2017 to avoid the increased tax penalty.

The 2017 Open Enrollment Period – the yearly period when people can enroll in a health insurance plan -runs through January 31, 2017. Now is the time to enroll or change plans for 2017.

  • Enroll: If you do not have health insurance through an employer, now is the time to enroll in a private plan through Covered California – you may qualify for financial assistance to help pay for health coverage.
  • Change Your Plan: If you currently have a plan through Covered California and would like to select a new plan, now is the time. The only time you can change your health plan is during open enrollment or a qualifying special enrollment period.

Individuals have until January 31st to enroll in health coverage and can enroll online, by phone, via paper applications, through a Covered California certified insurance agent or certified enrollment counselor. The following tools may assist you in locating enrollment assistance:





The Federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act requires most Americans to have health insurance or pay a penalty - known as “shared responsibility payment” – for those who do not have health coverage and do not qualify for an exemption.

The penalty is calculated two different ways, and uninsured consumers will pay whichever amount is higher. The first calculation is 2.5 percent of household income, with a maximum of the total yearly premium for the national average Bronze health insurance plan premium. The second calculation is $695 per adult plus $347.50 per child under the age of 18, with a maximum of $2,085.

The following table shows the potential penalties for not having insurance in 2017.

(Click on graphic for an estimate of shared responsibility payment.)

[The presence of a link does not constitute or imply any endorsement, sponsorship, or recommendation of the content of any linked site. The Assembly does not monitor, control or fund any linked site and is not responsible for its content. If the link site solicits funds, this should not be construed to mean that the Member is soliciting funds for that site.]