Constituent Service Request - Employment Development Department

Since March of last year, my office has been flooded with calls and emails asking for help with contacting the Employment Development Department (EDD).  While we have resolved over 1,960 cases and are actively assisting over 170 of you, we are very aware that over 400 of you are currently waiting for us to open a case and begin helping you..  We hope to get to your case sooner, but you should expect to be waiting for at least three weeks from today.  We ask for your continued patience and that you carefully read the following information before completing the form.  We also ask that you 1) read all messages sent to you from EDD through UI Online; 2) follow @CA_EDD on Twitter; and 3) try to regularly read EDD's News Releases.  It is inexcusable that more than a year has passed since the start of the pandemic and it remains nearly impossible to contact EDD directly to have your questions answered.  My office remains committed to helping you get the answers you need, your claim is processed and considered fairly and advocating on your behalf when we identify problems along the way.  We do ask thought that before you complete this form, you first look at the EDD's FAQ page and most recent news releases.


Is your benefit year coming to an end?  Unless you are on a Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) claim, you must apply for a new claim, even if you are on an extension and even if you have a remaining balance.   If your benefit year ends, you must file a new claim if you have Regular unemployment claim (UI), Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) extension, or Federal-State Extended Duration (FED-ED) extension. To find your claim type in UI Online, Select Claim History > Select Transactions next to the most recent week > Under Program Type, it will show what type of benefits you are receiving that week.  EDD has created a video explaining the importance of filing a new claim at the end of your benefit year.

Unfortunately there is nothing my office can do to make EDD process your claim extension any faster than the timeframes outlined above.  However, if your benefits have been pending or you have been unable to certify for benefits since before week ending March 13, 2021, we should be able to find out why and what needs to be done to resolve the issues.


Fraud Suspension

Many of you may have been (and possibly still are) in the 1.4 million claims EDD identified as “potentially fraudulent”. You should have received instructions to validate your identity through the verification process.  Once your identity is verified through, it may take EDD 7-10 additional business days to determine whether you pass other fraud criteria. EDD may send you a questionnaire to help clarify issues their contractor has flagged as suspicious.  It is important for you to respond to the questionnaire. Please be sure to check your texts, e-mails, mailbox, and UI Online messages and respond immediately or risk losing your benefits.


Contacting EDD to Resolve Issues

My staff are not employees of EDD and therefore do not have access to your unemployment claim so it is important that you have done what you can do yourself to find answers to your questions.  As mentioned above, the best place to look for answers is the EDD website, EDD News Releases, and EDD's Twitter account @CA_EDD.  In some cases, calling EDD may be the only way to find an answer to your question so here are tips on how to call EDD:

  • EDD phone numbers 1-833-978-2511 or 1-800-300-5616 – both numbers go to the same center
  • Monday – Sunday between 8 am and 8 pm PST (10:15/10:30 am or closer to 6, 7 pm seem to be best). 
  • Press 1 during the 1st recording, then press 2, then press 4 to get through to an EDD rep
  • Persistence is key when calling EDD.  You may get a message that your call cannot be completed at this time.  Hang up and try again. It may take some time and dialing to get connected to someone who is able to help you
  • Some EDD reps cannot transfer you, so you may need to call back to ask for a rep who can do this
  • There are 4 levels of EDD reps:
    • Tier I – cannot help you change problems and have limited access to your account.  Will usually offer to put you on a "call back" list.
    • Tier II – have access to your account and can make some changes but you should ask for an adjuster if you have a complicated claim problem
    • Adjusters – have access to your account and can resolve complicated claim problems and if they cannot assist are able to email a supervisor or let you know what is going on with your account or what you should/can do to resolve
    • Supervisors – have full access to your account and can resolve complicated claim issues but usually work behind the scenes on issues that Adjusters can’t resolve
  • Please note that it is taking at least 3 weeks to process and pay when you file a new claim if your benefit year has expired and EDD staff cannot help accelerate this process.  But if it has been over 3 weeks since you applied, and you are asking when your claim will be paid and/or your claim payments on that new claim are still pending a week or two after certifying, you can ask if the EDD rep answering the call is a Tier 2 rep and that person should be able to help. 
  • And if you have a complicated claim issue, and have multiple weeks pending or another issue, it is best to ask for an Adjuster when you call.



If after reading all of the above and you still have questions about your claim, please proceed to the form, making sure to:

  • Understand that you are not required to provide us with your Social Security Number (SSN) or EDD Customer Account Number (EDDCAN).
  • Understand there are risks to providing personal information via an email or website.
  • Understand we must have your SSN or EDDCAN before we contact EDD on your behalf. 
  • Entering your SSN or EDDCAN on this form is not secure, but is not prohibited.
  • The form offers two comment sections for you to include a description you believe will help us resolve your issues with EDD.


Once we have EITHER your SSN or EDDCAN, we will process and send an inquiry to EDD on your behalf, you will receive a confirmation email from the staff member in my office assigned to your case who will serve as your point of contact until the matter is resolved.

IMPORTANT:  If you disagree with EDD on a determination made about your application, your eligibility, your claim start date, your benefit award, etc, you have the right to appeal the determination.While waiting for us to process and submit your case to EDD, DO NOT DELAY Your Decision to Appeal.  You only have a short window of time to file an appeal, so it is important you submit as soon as possible.
Contact Information
EDD Information

Zip code entered is outside of the District. Please use the Find Your Rep webpage to find your District Representatives.